Our Mission Statement
"Our mission is to transform pensions, savings and financial well-being, across all generations, around the world."
Meet the Smart Pension Team
A World Class Team, Built for UK Business
Andrew has held a number of Managing Director roles in UK banks in pensions, banking & asset management, with experience running portfolios & transactions totalling many billions of pounds.
Andrew realised that SMEs require a simple, quick & cost effective solution to auto enrolment, with a robust underlying financial product. Smart Pension is the answer.
Will started his career with 5 successful years in The City then moved online, joining eBay UK & helping drive explosive UK growth.
Will later set up one of the UK's most successful online flowers & gifts businesses, in so doing experiencing many of the pains of a typical small business. Will enjoys making online businesses work fast & efficiently, to the benefit of all.
Head of Financial Services
Claire Altman has been appointed into the new role of Head of Financial Services at Smart Pension. The role will see her head up a department handling industry liaison, policy, strategy and governance as the firm continues to experience exponential growth.
Claire graduated from Cambridge University and is a qualified Barrister. Formerly a partner at Sacker & Partners LLP, she joined Capital Cranfield Trustees in 2009 as Client Director.
Non Executive Director
Tom is the co-founder and Managing Director of UK travel ecommerce success story, Secret Escapes and is enormously experienced in building and scaling online businesses.
Having helped build several very successful online platforms, Tom now brings this experience to Smart Pension.
Amy is the President of Anthemis, a leading FinTech firm which invests in technology driven companies that drive change in finance.
Amy is also the founder and CEO of Archer Gray, a media production, finance and investment company and previously was the CEO of Barclays Stockbrokers, the UK's largest electronic retail broker with £10bn assets under management.
Emma previously ran the London office of Perry Capital, one of the world' leading hedge funds, before helping to set up Big Society Capital.
Emma is currently Head of Property & Infrastructure within the Investments Team at Wellcome Trust, a global charitable foundation dedicated to achieving extraordinary improvements in human and animal health, with over £18bn of funds under management.
Stephen began his career as a chartered management accountant, before moving through many notable roles and achievements, including succeeding Sir Richard Branson as Group CEO of the Virgin Group, reshaping the business between 2005-2011, increasing its diversification across more than 30 countries.
He has held a number of equally challenging, impressive roles including: Chairman of OVO.
Our Investment Approach
Our approach at Smart Pension is simple, straightforward and transparent. We offer:
- The fastest way, to set up and manage your company's workplace pension;
- An outstanding and highly experienced investment team which delivers a fully diversified pension portfolio for the AutoEnrolment.co.uk Master Trust;
- Our administration being managed in-house by our own pension experts and 100% secure allows us to be more versatile bringing you and your employees the best possible pensions experience.
- Independent professional trustees are in charge of the AutoEnrolment.co.uk Master Trust, to ensure that it serves the interests of the beneficiaries (i.e. you and your employees);
- …and all available at zero cost to your business.
We do the hard work, giving you the peace of mind to get on with running your business, knowing that everything is in hand, you are complying with your legal duties and your employees are being well looked after.
The Burden Of Administration…Lifted
We know that over three quarters (76%) of the businesses that have set up a workplace pension have reported extra admin work and almost half (45%) are considering changing how they manage auto enrolment in the future. Painful experiences like these are the reason we have brought our fund administration in-house. the technological, technical and professional expertise in our team means we can serve our members the best solution possible as we can more easily incorporate the innovation that Smart is so well known for. This includes our employee app which allows members to get real-time valuation of pensions pots and engage with their pension like never before.
Professional, Experienced, Independent Trustees Oversee Your WorkPlace Pension
However, members may also request to be invested in any of these four funds in line with their own risk appetite and independently of their age. Please contact the Smart Pension support team email@example.com at if you would like to take a non-default approach.
Secure Structure. Ringfenced Master Trust. Safe Pension
Master Trust Assurance Framework Accredited
We have built a robust, ringfenced structure to protect your employees' pension schemes, using experienced independent trustees and administrators, and professional investment management investing in Financial Services Compensation Scheme protected funds (visit the FSCS site here). Our master trust (AutoEnrolment.co.uk Master Trust) is regulated by the Pensions Regulator and we have full accreditation under the master trust assurance framework for our master trust as we are committed to providing the highest standards of safety and security for our members. We take the security and safety of employees' pension funds very seriously.
The Smart Pension Proposition Structure
Professional, Experienced, Independent Trustees Oversee Your Work Place Pension
That is also why we've ensured that a team of experienced, professional trustees (all of whom are independent) with decades of experience between them in overseeing large pension schemes, and with direct links to the Financial Regulators, is in place to serve our clients and their employees. The trustee board ensures pension legislation is followed, acts in the best interests of the beneficiaries (now and in the future), and invests the scheme's assets per the trust deeds, all at the lowest cost possible. The trustees work for you.
They come together as an independent trustee company called EC2A Master Ltd. The board of EC2A Master Ltd consists of:
Andy Cheseldine, Chair of the Board of Trustees representing Capital Cranfield Background
Andy Cheseldine joined the Trust Board in 2017 and is the independent chair of trustees.
Andy is renowned for his deep knowledge and wealth of expertise in the pensions industry and has accrued more than 35 years of experience in consulting on defined benefit and defined contribution arrangements. His inclusion in the Top 50 People in Pensions Awards in 2015 and the Top 25 most influential investment consultants in the last five years is a testament to his reputation. Read the Chair's statement for the year ended 30 June 2018, here.
Anna Eagles, Trustee Director, Representing Law Debenture Background
Anna is an independent corporate Trustee. Anna joined the Trust Board in January 2018. She is a pensions actuary by background and a Fellow of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, with 22 years' experience advising trustees and employers. Before joining Law Debenture, she was with Willis Towers Watson Ltd. Anna's experience includes handling the winding-up of a DC arrangement with many investment options including with-profits funds; feasibility analyses of wind-ups of legacy DC arrangements with unit-linked and with-profits investments and bulk transfers of DC to Master Trusts.
Kate Jones, Trustee Director Background
With 20 years experience in senior roles in the financial services industry, Kate now works across the pensions industry as a Board member and consultant to senior leaders of asset management organisations, offering specific expertise in scalability, change and growth. Kate joined the Smart Pension Trust Board in August 2018. She also sits on the board of the Pension Protection Fund and its Investment and Reconsideration Committees and is Chair of Trustees for the financial education charity, RedSTART. She is also a leadership coach with a focus on senior female leaders in the financial sector.
David Brown, Trustee Director Background
David joined the Trust Board in October 2018. He has 30 years experience in the pension and investment industry in the UK and Internationally working as an operator and consultant. During this period David has worked for two of the Big Four consulting firms and more recently at Tesco where he was the UK and ROI Pensions and Payroll Manager. His broad experience includes DB and DC pensions, risk management and internal controls, change management including IT system migrations, member engagement, data privacy and governance. David is an Associate of the Pensions Management Institute and Chartered Insurance Institute. He also has an MBA from the Bradford Management Centre and holds a number of Professional Trustee appointments.
Our Investment Management Strategy
The trustees are responsible for the investment strategy of our Master Trust. We understand that financial expertise in balancing performance, risk and cost is key here and we are delighted to be leveraging the deep expertise of our trustees with investment advice from Hyman Robertson. Established in 1921, Hymans Robertson provide investments, benefits and risk consulting services, as well as data and technology solutions, to employers, trustees and financial services institutions.
Investment Consulting Services
Hymans Robertson provides comprehensive, innovative, client-focused investment consultancy services to Trustees, Employers, Charities, Local Authorities and Universities. Strategic decisions are of paramount importance; time and resources spent here will contribute far more to achieving the best results than anywhere else. Hyman Robertson believes that the best strategic decisions are made by trustees who actively challenge and debate issues with their advisers. This leads to engaging discussions, which drive enthusiasm for their work.
Here at Smart Pension we want to put you in control of your investments. We offer you a unique opportunity to choose how your funds are invested and managed with Smart Pension Fund Selection. It is important to consider how your funds are invested because it can affect the amount of money you have when you reach retirement. This service is available to all Smart Pension members enabling them to plan for the future. We have a variety of strategies for you to choose from, alternatively you can opt to manage how your funds are invested yourself (just be sure to keep an eye on them!)
Detailed information on the investment strategy provided by Smart Pension is outlined in the following document Smart Pension Investment Guide. The trustees recommend that members go into different default funds according to age and with a different investment plan to reflect differing requirements for these age groups. We also provide the option to use any one of the investment funds, regardless of your age.
Makeup of our Default Investment Funds
For the lastest information on investment performance, please see our Investment Performance Report.
The Sharia Fund
It is estimated that there are 2.7 million Muslims who currently live and work in the UK. With that in mind, Smart Pension offers a Sharia fund for those that wish to invest in a fund that complies with the principles of Islamic finance. Employees' funds will automatially be invested into one of our default funds. If investing in Sharia fund is important to you, you will need to change your investment after you have been enrolled into the Scheme. Please note however that this fund operates outside the charge cap regime and carries a total investment charge of 1.01% AMC p.a. on pension assets in this fund. We use HSBC Global Asset Management to manage our Sharia fund.
Introducing The Smart Ethical Global Equity Index Fund
Your pension is a long term investment, so here at Smart Pension we want to provide members with a saving option that helps to create a future that they want to retire in. Smart Growth ESG Moderate is a fund with a responsible investment tilt that focuses on the sustainability of the companies that members savings are invested in. Employees will be able to select this fund when logged into their account area as an alternative to our default funds.
What Should a Good Workplace Pension Deliver?
Our team at Smart Pension focuses on three simple goals. That:
- Your workplace pension is managed by experts, so that your team can look forward to a brighter future.
Welcome to Smart Pension.
Fast. Secure. Trusted.
Our Technology Platform
Will Wynne, Managing Director
We spent over a year researching, designing, building (and then testing) the Smart Pension auto enrolment platform to make it as good as we possibly could and to ensure it was what the market wanted. Before we designed or built anything, we researched in detail the competitive landscape and the options available to UK SMEs. The results, bar a few exceptions, were uninspiring: most UK auto enrolment platforms were (and still are) expensive and clunky, hamstrung as they are by legacy IT systems and a paper-based, face to face sales model, with eye wateringly painful set up and ongoing costs as a consequence. Very few used any of the recent advances in the web and technology to simplify the process of auto enrolment or to keep costs down for SMEs.
Examples of Technology Helping Smart Pension Customers Save Time & Money
Why force busy professionals to fill in all the required fields about their company when we can query Duedil's company lookup API and pull in all the details we need in microseconds.
Why require company owners wanting to get compliant as soon as possible to print, sign and send letters through the post for us to review and send back, when e-signatures are entirely legal (see here also) and can be executed in seconds, are used by many large multinational companies, and Signable.co.uk allows instant e-signing of the required documents.
Our Platform: Fast. Secure. Trusted!
In response to this clear demand, we designed and built a system with which you can, if you have the required information to hand, sign up, enrol employees and get fully compliant within a matter of minutes, on a 100% self service basis at zero cost to your company. No one else offers anything close.
Welcome to Smart Pension.
Fast. Secure. Trusted
Smart Pension - Detailed Platform Feature Information
Click to see more detail on the features that make our platform faster and more secure than any other: Expand All.
- Signing Up
- Fastest sign up flow: As mentioned above, we use Duedil and Signable along with several other technology partners to ensure your company can be signed up in seconds, with full peace of mind that it has been done to the very highest level of legal compliance and with the correct company information.
- Background checks: We run numerous little checks on the data that you are giving us as you sign up to ensure you can sign up without any errors.
- Setting Up Your Pension
- One click task delegation: We offer three tiers of management to allow controlled delegation of tasks, without relinquishing excessive levels of control to more junior employees.
- Instant control of admin rights: Admin rights can be added, amended or revoked in a click or two and instantly applied.
- Simple employee group creation: Should you wish to, you can use our system to quickly create different employee groups (eg. "Directors", "Management", "Junior Staff") and offer to these groups differing levels of pension contribution from the company (ie over the legal minimum requirement - eg "Directors" get unmatched 5% contributions, "Management" get matched-only 3% contributions and "Junior Team Members" get the statutory minimum company contribution). Or you can just ignore this section and we will set up your pension so that all your qualifying employees receive the legal minimum required contributions from your company.
- Intelligent bulk workforce upload: Our workforce template and intelligent upload make loading staff in bulk into our system (and any employee groups you have set up) easy.
- One step direct debit set up: We allow you to validate your bank account and set up your bank account in seconds.
- Automated document and anti-money laundering / know your customer checks: Our system automatically analyses submitted identification documents and checks company and director identities using state of the art anti-money laundering programs.
- Compulsory employee documentation automatically generated: Our system not only allows you to automatically generate (including your company name and logo) employee education documents before your "staging date" but also to generate and manage your post automatic enrolment document flow for employees (including your company name and logo) With us, you needn't miss anything.
- Ongoing Management
- Simple joiner / leaver management: Our system allows you to add and remove employees with a few clicks. We then automatically generate all the paperwork that you must by law provide to your employees.
- Works nicely with payroll: We allow you to upload your payroll to be assessed in your Smart Pension account, alternatively you can upload payroll from your payroll software that has been pre-assessed and the relevant pension contributions calculated. Click here to find out more.
- Continuous assessment, to help you remain compliant: We help you assess your staff at every pay run and are here to support you, to ensure you remain compliant regarding existing / new staff, changes in employee pay levels and legislative changes (eg mandatory contribution rates).
- Account history used to make things quicker: We remember previous payroll runs so it's easy for you to just update with employees' latest pay (or bulk upload a sheet) and complete your pay run and pension duties in minutes.
- No payment hassles: Once you've approved a pay run, payments are automatically taken a few days later by direct debit, at no cost to you, saving you valuable time and letting you focus on running your business.
- Amend group key attributes easily: You can amend any group settings or create new groups easily using our platform, to reflect the evolving nature of your business.
- Employee self-administration: Your employees can manage their opt in / opt out status themselves on our platform, as well as choose their own employee contribution levels and keep their information up to date. All without your involvement.
- Re-enrol employees automatically: Our system will automatically let you know (in good time) when you must re-enrol previously opted out employees back in to your workplace pension (you must do this every three years from your staging date/duties start date or previous re-enrolment date).
- Alerts and messages in your own inbox: We will send you messages with key information not only to your email address but also to your Smart Pension Mail Box where messages will always be accessible. If there is something you need to know about your pension or the pensions rules in general, we will ensure you are informed.
- Referral programme: We hope you like our platform. If you share it with others and they sign up successfully, we'll give you a thank you reward through our referral programme. Other employer and employee benefits are planned and will follow in due course.
- Adviser Platform: Through our adviser platform your adviser can manage any aspect of the setup and ongoing maintenance of your workplace pension. Click here to find out more.
- Platform Security
- Fully encrypted / 100% HTTPS secure site: Our site is 100% HTTPS secure meaning that all online communications are encrypted and secure, no matter what part of our site you are visiting. Currently, no other UK automatic enrolment provider offers this across their entire site.
- Two factor authentication / two step verification: Two factor authentication / two step verification is an advanced security measure that offers unambiguous identification of the person signing in to a website by not only requiring a password but also a 4 digit code that changes every 30 seconds. It is offered by many large companies such as Google, Dropbox and Microsoft to protect their users. With Smart Pension, you can optionally turn on two factor authentication for one or all levels of company admin and / or your employees. Currently, no other UK automatic enrolment provider offers two factor authentication protection on their website. Learn more about our approach to two factor authentication in our FAQs here.
- Secure messaging: If you wish to, you can communicate with our team exclusively through our onsite secure messaging platform to ensure maximum security. Our secure messaging system can be found in your account area, once you are signed up with Smart Pension. We also support email communication with non-customer visitors through our secure Frequently Asked Questions system. Finally, you can use live chat to chat securely with our team in real time during office hours (if you are not on a mobile device) or to send us a message out of hours (live chat can be found bottom right of your screen at all times).
- Tiered admin rights: We have thought carefully about the competing goals of ease of delegation and company risk. For this reason we have created not one but three company administration levels: signatory, administrator and manager. This allows some tasks to be delegated but not all, so you can have peace of mind without having to do all the set up work yourself. Read more about tiered administration rights here.
- Instant removal of admin rights: Admin rights can be added, amended or revoked in a click or two and instantly applied.
- Sign up by verified employees only: We use industry leading identity checks to verify all individuals that sign a company up to ensure that they are who they say they are.
- Our pensions administration is overseen in-house and that is why here at Smart we have some of the brightest stars in pensions on our team. Not only does this mean your pensions ins 100% secure with us but it also allows us to bring you the best possible pension experience with the most cutting-edge fintech technology in the market.
- Tailored Experiences
- The ease of use, speed and low cost of our auto enrolment platform offers particular benefits to sectors where there is high employee turnover or a high degree of seasonality. Click the following links to see why employment agencies, hospitality businesses, retailers, call centres and construction businesses will find Smart Pension to be the most powerful auto enrolment platform for workplace pensions for their needs.
If you think we are missing any features in our platform, please let us know.
Smart Pension - Fees And Charges
We are better value for employers than:
NEST, The People's Pension, NOW: Pensions, Creative Auto Enrolment and nearly all bank / insurance auto enrolment schemes.
How? Because our pension platform is much more efficient and so has significantly lower running costs, meaning that it costs us far less to provide you with a best-in-class workplace pension. We pass these savings directly on to you and your employees.
Smart Pension - Costs To Employers - Nil
Costs To Employers - Nil
Smart Pension - Costs To Employers: One-Off Set Up Costs
There are no one-off set up costs for employers that sign up with Smart Pension's standard service.
Smart Pension - Costs To Employers: Ongoing Annual / Per Employee Costs
You will be told when you join Smart Pension whether a member charge will apply to your membership.
Smart Pension - Costs To Employers: Other Costs
Non-standard charges: for certain non-standard processes (e.g. paying contributions by Bacs, checking non standard ID documents ((standard = UK driving licence or UK passport)) or submitting your Declaration of Compliance on your behalf), we may charge to cover our reasonable costs in processing these requests.
We may apply charges for additional services which we launch in the future.
Smart Pension - Costs To Employees - Great Value
Costs To Employees
Smart Pension - Costs To Employees: One-Off Set Up Costs
There are no one-off set up costs for employees that are automatically enrolled with Smart Pension's standard service.
Smart Pension - Costs To Employees: Ongoing / Annual Employee Costs
Our fees are clear and transparent. We charge employees a monthly Assets Under Administration fee of up to 0.75% per annum of funds under administration. We may apply a member charge and you will be clearly told whether this is applicable to you when you join. The charges we collect from your plan will not exceed the UK charge cap that has been applied since April 2015.
Key Pension Attributes Comparison
Smart Pension is great value for employers and employees. In addition, sign up with Smart Pension and you'll be using the UK's fastest, most efficient workplace pension platform, with the most advanced set of payroll integrations built in. Finally, thanks to our strategic partnership with Legal & General, you'll have peace of mind that your employees are being offered sophisticated, secure, blue chip investment options, that will help them safely provide for their future.
For a comparison of the key features that we offer compared to other providers, please see the table below.
|Legal & General funds||Unspecified global companies||Unspecified "Diversified Growth Fund"||Scottish Widows||Unspecified|
Advisers & Our Platform
IFAs and middleware providers may charge fees to the company for advice or to provide auto enrolment services, but there would still be additional underlying pension fees. Smart Pension is great value for employers and employees. If you prefer to outsource your auto enrolment to a trusted adviser, we are happy to work with your IFA, accountant, bookkeeper or payroll bureau to set up your workplace pension.
Advisers and agents can find out more here.
If you think there is an error on this page, please feel free to contact us and we will do our best to correct it.
Not only are we good value for employers and employees, but we are also the quickest and most efficient solution in the industry and offer sophisticated, secure, blue chip investment options. Why choose anyone else?
Get Started Now